To achieve our new vision, five aspirations were identified to provide areas of focus and position UC Irvine Health for long-term success. These aspirations will strengthen UC Irvine Health’s position as a top academic medical institution in an era when the healthcare industry as a whole is facing dynamic change.
- Research Distinction — Achieve distinction across basic, translational, clinical and outcomes research
- Innovative Education — Educate the next generation of healthcare leaders through innovative learning
- Clinical Excellence — Provide excellent care and an exceptional experience
- Complex Care Leader — Be the region’s top destination for complex care
- Population Health Manager — Become a leader in population health management
These aspirations are rooted in the existing strengths of UC Irvine Health, as well as in areas where we have unique opportunities to assert and distinguish our organization, both locally and internationally.
UC Irvine Health will monitor progress toward accomplishing our aspirations using the metrics below.
- Achieve 10 percent increase in research faculty by FY 2018
- Achieve 10 percent increase in research faculty (Line, In-Residence, Clinical) funded with awards by FY 2018
- Achieve 10 percent increase in clinical trials with funding awards by FY 2018
- Achieve 50 percent increase high-visibility, multi-institutional research programs by FY 2018
- Achieve $100-million increase in cumulative philanthropic income by end of FY 2018
- Achieve 93 percent overall satisfaction score (agree & strongly agree) on SOM GQ by FY 2021
- Achieve 23 percent increase in satisfaction score (agree & strongly agree) on SOM GQ for basic science coursework with sufficient clinical relevance by FY 2021
- Achieve 36 percent increase in satisfaction score (agree & strongly agree) on SOM GQ for clinical experience integrated basic science content by FY 2021
- Achieve endowment funding for three (3) key medical education professorships by FY 2021
- Provide eight (8) inter-professional educational sessions by FY 2021
- Achieve 10 percent increase in accepted students from disadvantaged backgrounds by FY 2021
- Achieve 10 percent increase in accepted students with a commitment to serve the Latino community by FY 2021
- Achieve 8 percent increase in gender equity in faculty and senior administrative staff by FY 2021
- Achieve overall hospital quality rating of 4 from Vizient by FY 2021
- Achieve a “Overall Hospital Rating” patient-satisfaction score of TBD percent from the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) by FY 2021
- Achieve a “Recommend this Provider Office” score of 94.3 percent from the Clinician & Group Survey (CG-CAHPS) by FY 2021
- Reduce cost per adjusted discharge by 6 percent by FY 2021
Complex Care Leader
- Achieve a 25 percent increase in adult tertiary and quaternary discharges by FY 2021
- Achieve a 6 percent increase in overall case mix index (CMI) by FY 2021
Population Health Manager
- Achieve TBD percent increase in unique attributed lives by FY 2021
- Achieve TBD percent decrease in total cost of care for risk-based population by November 2021
- Achieve 28 percent reduction in number of calendar days for third-next available appointment for routine and new patient ambulatory specialty care by FY 2021
We have identified 18-month and five-year targets for each metric above and will report progress annually on the strategic plan website.