Teach — Plan
As part of the strategic plan, UCI Health strives to lead the way in innovative and evidence-based education that embraces a rapidly evolving care environment. Using novel and advanced learning methods, as well as inter-professional collaborations, we aim to produce future healthcare leaders with the skill and vision to meet our growing and diverse societys needs.
To achieve our aspiration for innovative education, UCI Health has selected the following seven (7) goals and has initiated three (3) strategies for fiscal 2017 and 2018.
All highlighted strategies are currently active.
Redesign, innovate and integrate curricula to maximize value to learners and educators.
- Innovate the curricula Design a curriculum that integrates clinical and basic science courses.
- Assess and optimize the size of graduate medical education (GME) programs Align the size of GME programs with strategic plans for clinical expansion and research growth, as well as to meet future trends in medicine.
- Create GME institutional curricula Create a curricula for GME that aligns institutional interests, accreditation and innovative trends, including piloting new certificate programs in graduate medical education.
- Condense the undergraduate medical education (UME) curriculum Assess the impact of condensing the UME curriculum to three years.
- Individualize curricula Develop individualized curricula across health sciences schools and programs.
Recruit and retain learners and educators whose profile is both diverse and representative of our community.
- Advance diversity among learners, faculty and staff Establish the Office of Diversity and Inclusion within the School of Medicines Office of Medical Education.
- Expand the diversity pipeline Create diversity through pipeline programs across all learner groups and faculty.
Create and foster an environment that rewards educational effort, achievement and innovation.
- Align faculty incentives to foster a consistent learner experience Develop standards and rewards for clinical and basic science department chairs that reinforces faculty engagement in education and ensures a more consistent experience for learners.
- Reward educational effort Develop and implement a funding methodology for education-related faculty efforts.
Attract and retain the best learner and educator talent.
- Align education programs Align educational programs with distinguished UCI Health clinical and research programs.
- Support mentoring of learners Identify and support both research and clinical mentors who will support and serve learners.
- Require a scholarly component within the curriculum Require a scholarly component as part of the curriculum for all learners.
Educate and prepare health professionals to excel in an evolving healthcare environment.
- Develop curricula for care delivery that can evolve Differentiate healthcare curricula to teach competencies and skill sets that are needed by future employers and that respond to evolving models of care delivery.
Design inter-professional, team-based programs with curricula coordinated across health science disciplines.
- Create multidisciplinary teams Develop multidisciplinary team approaches within curricula.
- Develop team-based curricula Create inter-disciplinary learning experiences that incorporate multiple professions and participation by all.
Promote inter-school collaborations across the university campus to equip the next generation of healthcare leaders.
- Enhance university collaborations Develop collaborations among university schools, such as business or the humanities, to create new elective choices for students in the health professions.
- Create leadership curriculum Create a curriculum to teach and promote leadership among learners and faculty members.